Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One sign of a long marriage

There are many, many signs of a long marriage.  One sign that gets a lot of attention is the old favorite of finishing each other’s sentences.  Of course, this is pretty basic stuff and can happen relatively quickly in a relationship.  No, for a really long marriage you need to step it up like Sherry and I did this weekend.

Sunday night Sherry and I were watching the movie Amélie.  In one scene, Amélie goes to the St. Martin Canal to skip stones.  As she is skipping stones, Sherry reminds of the time we ate lunch at a bistro on the canal where she got stuck in the bathroom because the door wouldn’t unlock.  I smiled and listened as a good husband should until she finished her story.  Then I reminded her that was me and not her locked in bathroom. So we laughed about it and continued watching the movie.

The very next night we get an invite to the neighbors for a light  dinner with good wine.  As we are all sitting around chatting Bob mentions he has to go in for jury duty.  Now, we all start telling our jury duty stories.  My first story was about a criminal trial where a guy robbed a pizzeria and was caught on the way out by police going in for lunch.  I went on about how I really wanted to be on the jury of such an open-and-shut case.  Meanwhile, Sherry is smiling away because that was her trial and not mine.  Are you kidding me?

As you can see, in our 24 years of marriage we have gone way beyond finishing each other’s sentences.  We are now completely interchangeable characters in the stories of our life.  I’m sure as we continue to grow older together this will be a new trend.  But you know, I’m okay with that.  As long as most stories are about us having fun as a couple, then who cares who played each part.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment