Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Where’s the Damn “M” Key

Sherry and I just returned from a wonderful Paris vacation.  While we were there I intended to write at least three or so posts for this blog.  What happened?  Well, while the apartment we rented did have a laptop, the laptop had a French keyboard.  It is just different enough to drive you a bit insane.  Take a look for yourself!

Backslash_On_French_Keyboard

Here were some of the harder things for me to overcome.  The commonly used M, A, and W keys are in different places.  You have to hold the shift key for periods and numbers (yes, numbers).  And finally, you have this third option, as highlighted in the photo, of the Alt Gr key.  This is used for any key with three options.  For example, to type the @ symbol you needed to press Alt Gr – 0.

While I did manage to write one post while I was in Paris, it was very challenging since I do type by touch.  So, I am just typing away and then I realize what I am typing looks like gobbely-gook (that’s a technical writing term).  Here is an example of a sentence I eventually got correct and how it was typed originally.

Correct version:  “So, most of us Americans should be able to make our way through a French menu without too much difficulty.”

Original version:  “So, ;ost of us Q;ericqns should be qble to ;qke our zqy through q French ;enu zithout too ;uch difficulty.”

Finally, I gave up and limited my typing to emails and Facebook posts.  However, I did some old fashion writing by hand as I sat in cafes sipping coffee or wine so look for these stories, in no particular order, in the very near future.

  • Shopping for Dinner
  • Le petite Chaperon Rouge
  • Riding the 69 Bus
  • Lunch at Le Voltaire
  • The Monet Exhibit at the Grand Palais

There may be a few more as well but that should get me started.

Until then . . .

Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a fabulous time on your vacation to Paris. I think I was there during some of the same time, actually just a long weekend to collect enough miles on United to maintain my 1 K status.

    I hate French keyboards too. I sometimes "try" to use a cousins laptop when I am visiting them if I don't have my laptop and it drives me insane plus it takes forever to type a simple email message.

    I hope you will share more about your trip to Paris. I am always looking for ideas for my next visit.

    ReplyDelete