Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Dinner

Each year, just after the holidays, Sherry and I host a dinner.  We look forward to this night all year.  It’s a quaint affair with no more then 8 guests.  However, the good food, vintage wines, and great friends always makes for a magical night and this year was no exception.

Let’s start with the menu.  Here are the food and wine pairings chosen for last Saturday’s dinner.  In case you were wondering, it was as good as it sounds.

  • Hors-d'oeuvres - Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs NV Grand Cru Champagne (from the Rare Wine Company)
  • Roasted pears with blue cheese salad - 2008 Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris (from Alsace)
  • Cassoulet a la Bistro 29 - 2005 Chateau Les Hauts d'Aglan Cahors & 2005 Clos la Coutale Cahors
  • Assortment of Artisan cheeses - 2005 Chateau Plaisance Bordeaux
  • Pear and Stilton Tart - 2007 Chateau de Myrat Sauternes

The night lived up to its promise.  We ate.  We drank.  And, we laughed, told stories, and then laughed some more.  It was a perfect evening of food, wine and friends.

This year, Sherry and I had some help with the cooking.  Traditionally, I make my version of cassoulet for this dinner but since we are all traveling together to France later this year, I wanted something more authentic.  So, it was Bistro 29 to the rescue.  The chef there makes an awesome cassoulet so that’s what we served this year.

Another partner for the evening was Traverso’s.  After finalizing the menu I knew I needed the perfect white wine to pair with the salad.  So, up the hill to talk to Michael and he suggested the Pinot Gris from Alsace.  I will be going back up the hill to buy more.  It was a delightfully refreshing wine that I can see myself sipping in the back yard later this summer.  Traverso’s is also where I discovered the Clos la Coutale Cahors many years ago.

There you have it!  Another successful dinner with a little help from others.  Normally, I would already be looking forward to next year’s dinner but right now we have to finish planning for our trip to France. 

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment