Monday, May 16, 2011

A Shopping Cart of Memories

Last week I saw this shopping cart on my street as I finished my run.  Out of nowhere, I had a flashback to my childhood that dates back nearly 40 years. 

CartI was with my grandparents, who had a huge impact on my life, as we returned from a weekend fishing trip.  As we entered a town on the way home, we saw 2 young boys, about my age of 12 or so, pushing a shopping cart down the street towards us.  Well, one was pushing it and the other was riding in it.  Anyway, my grandparents started commenting on how nice these boys were for returning the cart and how that kind of courtesy was rapidly disappearing in the younger generation.  No sooner had they finished this conversation, we passed the market the cart was from.  You guessed it!  The boys were stealing, not returning the shopping cart.  For some reason this "tickled" (my grandmother's favorite term) the hell out of us and we laughed about it for next hour.

Now, I see shopping carts all the time so it amazes me that seeing this particular cart this morning brought back a memory from 40 years ago with such clarity.  I can also tell you that it put a huge smile on my face and I spent the remainder of the run remembering other good times spent with my grandparents.  I also felt like I was more ready to face the day, come what may.

The moral?  For me, it was a good reminder that reflecting on the good and positive things from your past can help you overcome moments of negativity in the present.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment