Friday, February 12, 2010

Chateaubriand for 2

Don’t you just love impromptu dinners?  You know, those nights that start with a feeling of not wanting to cook and end with a fantastic meal at a local restaurant.  Well, on Wednesday, Sherry and I had one of those nights.

I was still at work when I got “the call”.  This is the call where Sherry is still at work and will miss her normal Jazzercise class.  So I decide to skip my workout as well and dinner out is on.

The next question is – where?  Sherry decides she is in a French mood.  After a quick phone call to La Gare, we are all set with 7:15 reservations.  After a quick trip to our cellar to pick up a bottle of 2001 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Bordeaux we are off.

la gare La Gare is a Santa Rosa icon and has been serving fabulous french meals for over 30 years.  It is one of our favorites although surprisingly we don’t go there that often.  As I look at the menu I decide on beef although I want one of everything.  Sherry also decides to have beef and the dinner takes a marvelous turn.

For the first time, we ordered the Chateaubriand for two.  This is basically 20 ounces of some of the finest tasting beef you have ever eaten.  It comes on a wooden platter where it is displayed, and then carved, a table (french for at the table).  It was absolutely delicious and quickly ranked as one of our more memorable meals at La Gare.

Since we ordered the Chateaubriand for two, it only seemed right to order the cherries jubilee for two as our dessert.  These were also flambéed at the table where our waiter put on quite a show.  With the food and wine gone, it was time to head home to enjoy the rest of our evening and dream about the next time I receive “the call”.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment